Surrendering Ownership of Your Pet

If you have decided to give your pet to the Al-Van Humane Society, you will be asked to sign a release form giving the Al-Van legal ownership of the animal. Once you have signed the release statement, you may not reclaim your pet, so please be sure that you have made the right decision for you and your pet.

Pet's Medical Records

Please bring any medical records you have for your pet. If you don't have records, give us the name of the animal hospital you use so we can request records to give to the new owner.

Your Pet’s Personality

Information you provide about your pet’s health, behavior, habits, likes, and dislikes is really helpful to people considering your pet for adoption.  And let us know if your pet has a history of biting, refuses to use the litter box, has a serious or chronic medical condition, or any other problem that will help us decide what kind of home would be best for your pet. 

If you have a stray that you have found, Al-Van Humane Society can help. People who reside within the Allegan and Van Buren Counties may surrender animals to the shelter so the staff can take steps to get them appropriate care.  You must have a valid ID displaying an address in Allegan or Van Buren Counties to surrender them at Al-Van.

We do not pick up animals.  If you have a feral animal that needs help, please call

your County's Animal Control.  We do not accept feral animals.